Adding contributors to your WordPress website is easy to do. All you need to do is click on ‘People’, and then ‘Add’ in your My Sites Menu, whereby you type the user’s email address or their username for WordPress. But, think carefully before performing this simple task – is this something you should do? Below, we weigh up the pros and cons of adding contributors to your WordPress website to help you make up your mind whether it’s the right thing for your site.
- Lighten the load – One of the main benefits associated with adding contributors to your WordPress website is that you will lighten the load. You will no longer be responsible for every piece of content on your website, making it a lot easier for you to reach your goals without doing everything yourself.
- Update your website more regular – Regular updates will do wonders in terms of boosting your visibility online.
- Give your website a variety of voice – Giving your website a variety of voice is important, as you will make it much more interesting and you will appeal to new users. People like to hear different opinions and enjoy different writing styles, so adding new contributors in this regard can only be a good thing.
- You get the final say – You will get the final say on the content that goes out on your website. Contributor posts do not go live straight away; you will need to approve them before they are published.
- You give up some control – A lack of control is one of the biggest worries when new contributors come on board. You can’t censor them or control everything they are going to say. If you don’t like the content they have contributed, a few awkward conversations may lie ahead.
- You are relying on someone else – You need someone you can trust to post content when they say they will. You will also need to develop a proper structure and way of working with one and other.
There’s no hard and fast answer as to whether you should add a contributor to your WordPress website – it is all about determining what is right for you. Hopefully, the pointers above will have helped you to come to a decision that works for you and your site. One last tip though: if you do decide to add contributors, choose them wisely. Assess the content they have produced before and make sure they are right for your site and target audience and you should be fine.